Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Tot School: 18 Months

Tot School: 16.5 months

~18 Months~


This week we pulled out some new supplies to work with. Well, more than anything it was an opportunity for me to introduce them, and their vocabulary to the Stink Bug. We talked about paper, scissors, and glue in detail. Ok, so only in as much detail as a toddler would understand and have patience for!



The main activity that I used to give her experience was a "collage" type of an activity. We looked through magazines together, and when she got to a picture that she liked she would point to it, and tell me what it was. I would slowly cut it out, put a dab of glue on the back, and ask her to stick it to the paper.



It was a lot of fun to see her experience the stickiness of the glue stick. She has just recently learned to say, "sticky" so it was especially fun to see her put the word to good use.





When we started, I had only planned on filling up half of a large sheet of white construction paper with cut out images. Much to my surprise, she kept wanting to do more, so I unfolded the paper, and we kept on going!



By the time we were finished we had page full of things that are currently interesting to the Stink Bug. Almost a snapshot of the things she likes, and some of the words that she can say.



Of course, we did a few obligatory Valentines day activities this week as well! I couldn't miss an opportunity to hear the Stink Bug say, "Art!" over and over again while she put foam heart stickers into an ice cube tray.





This week I also began making some small, portable, activities that the Stink Bug can do in the car. We are going to be heading to a family reunion in just a couple of weeks and I want to be sure that I have enough "fun and new" things to keep her busy on the 10 hour trip there and 10 hour trip back. If you haven't heard of them before, many people call them "busy bags", or "activity bags". There are MANY ideas out there, and even a few books dedicated to them.

The first one that I worked on, and tested out with the Stink Bug, was a button snake.



Basically, just a ribbon with buttons on either end, and a handful of pieces of fabric with button "holes" in them. In this case, I used some leftover felt, and was sure to make the button holes over sized, and the buttons large.





I also made a "pom-pom stuff" activity. You cut a hole in the top of a container, small enough that you have to stuff a craft pom-pom into it, rather than just have it fall in. Viola, a wonderful toddler activity!



I am not even kidding you, she stuffed all of the pom-pom's into the container three times in a row before she became bored of it and wanted to do something else.



There is nothing like a simple (somewhat free) activity to keep your child engaged for 10-15 min! I may stick this one in my purse when we get back from our trip! It will come in handy I am SURE!



I added this cute picture just because I just can't get enough of the Stink Bug in pigtails now that her hair is long enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...